The pandemic helped us understand many things, such as the importance of being ready for pretty much anything when going on a trip. You probably didn’t know it before, but Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance is among the necessary items in your suitcase.
No matter if you’re leaving next week or in a year from now, you must think of this protection as soon as you purchase the trip!
Keep reading to know more about this type of insurance.
In this article:
- Various protections, including Baggage and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
To be eligible for this type of insurance, you must:
- Be a Canadian resident of less than 86 years old, and purchase the insurance while in your province of residence.
- Purchase the insurance within 15 days of the first non-refundable deposit of the trip.
- Purchase the insurance for the entire duration of the trip.
- Cover the full amount of the prepaid, non-refundable and non-transferable expenses, up to a maximum of $12,000 CAN. (In other words, you cannot ask to cover only a portion of the prepaid expenses, nor can you purchase this insurance if the trip costs more than $12,000 CAN.)
Important! The trip must not have been paid, partially or completely, with a credit or voucher. Insuring a trip that was partially or completely paid with a credit or voucher goes against the eligibility clause 4 above.
Types of Protections
Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance
This coverage reimburses you for losses you incur for a trip cancelled prior to your departure date, or interrupted after your departure date, because of one of the covered risks specified in the policy.
This protection includes Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance, Baggage Insurance in the event of loss, theft, damage or delay, and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance.
Baggage Insurance is included in the Non-Medical Package and covers damage to your personal effects and baggage, as well as loss, theft or delay. Travel documents such as your passeport or travel visa, are also covered. It is important to read the policy wording carefully to know what items are excluded, such as animals, eyeglasses and medication.
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance provides coverage for death or dismemberment resulting directly from an accidental bodily injury that occurs during your trip. The dismemberment or death must occur within 90 days from the date of the accident. In the event of accidental death, multiple dismemberment, complete loss of sight, hearing or speech, we will pay one of the following amounts, depending on the nature of the accident:
- $100,000 CAN if you have an accident on a common carrier while in flight on your trip.
- $50,000 CAN if you have an accident on a common carrier while not in flight on your trip.
- $10,000 CAN if you have another type of accident while on your trip.
The insurer will pay 50% of the above applicable amount for single dismemberment or the loss of sight in one eye, according to the applicable accident description.
This article is a summary of our Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance.
You have questions about Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption Insurance? You would like a quote? Dial 1-877-344-8398 today to speak with one of our agents today. You may also get a quote on our website.
In case of disparity between the content of this article and the policy booklet, the latter prevails.